Sunday, December 18, 2011

A "Peace"ful Birdhouse

There is something about the Christmas holiday that brings out the altered artist in me. I love making new little trinkets and ornaments, and for the past few years, houses to add to my Christmas decor. I think it has a lot to do with all of the handmade treasures that we made for my mom as kids, that she still enjoys to this day.

I made this project for the Basically Bare blog. Cute, isn’t it? I think I have a place for this right next to the “JOY” frame set that I made last year.


When I spotted this weighted paper mache house on the clearance rack at Michael’s for .29, I knew I had to get it although I didn’t know what I was going to do with it…that is until now! I covered it with papers and die cuts from Creative Imaginations and added a couple of Stack-a-Bellies Birds to create my own little Christmas birdhouse.

I started with Basically Bare acrylic and chipboard birds and wings.

I ran the set through my Cuttlebug using the Script folder. I love the romantic look that this folder lends to the birds.

NOTE: I left the protective seal on the acrylic pieces when I embossed and then removed it afterwards. This is what the birds look like after they come out of the folder. If you ask me, they are beautiful enough to use on any project as is, but I had to take it a step further.

Using a sponge brush, I gently swiped white acrylic paint across the embossing and then painted the edges of one of the birds and one of the wings.


I used silver embossing powder to cover the second bird/wing set. Notice how the dry embossing holds its shape under the heat embossing. I love this technique!

After the birds were dried, I layered them on the bottom of the house.

Then added die cut foliage until I was satisfied.

Here's a close-up of the rooftop. I layered border cut strips to form the "shingles".


Hope you've enjoyed this post. Have a great week!!

Tanisha

2 comments:

Sandie said...

This is so lovely, those birds are gorgeous and what a bargain your little house was! Have a wonderful Christmas to you and your family Tanisha.

Allie Gower said...

Hi!

I love your blog. I was working on a post for CI and wanted to get to know the design team and check out all the blogs.

Happy New Year!


Allie Gower
http://WellTrainedPaper.blogspot.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My photo
I live in New Jersey with my husband and our 2 sons. I work full time as a Medical Technologist and volunteer for the Community Emergency Response Team in my town. I've been scrapping for the past 8 years and I truly love it because it allows me to combine my love of photography and my love of paper into one art form. I love teaching scrapbook classes and providing freelance work. Please contact me via email if you are interested in commissioning my services: tanisharenee74@hotmail.com

All content, including text, photographs, and artwork are copyright 2011 by Tanisha R. Long (except where noted). My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only, not for commercial use. This includes contests, submissions, and publications. Any other use requires my expressed written consent.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

My Favorite Projects

Twitter


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Blog Archive

Labels